By: Katie Wilson
Struggling to find conversation starters now that, “what are you up to this weekend?” is a no-go? We don’t blame you. Dating while distancing is going to require you to rethink your go-to lines and your upcoming date plans. But fear not!
We’ve spent the last week talking to singles to get the inside scoop on what’s working and what’s not. The key to virtual dating is keeping momentum going and getting creative. See below for a list of conversation tips and virtual date ideas that will set you apart from the rest.
- Keep it positive. We know it’s tempting given the state of the world right now, but no need to dwell on heavy or negative topics right out the gate.
- Stay away from politics. Everyone is feeling especially politically charged right now, and while politics are important, we recommend broaching it after you’ve established a connection.
- Come up with fresh conversation starters in advance. Everyone will naturally have less to talk about due to staying in, so take initiative and come prepared with some fresh conversation topics. Favorite thing about staying in, best new show on Netflix, new favorite recipe…it’s all fair game!
Virtual Dating Ideas:
- Download an interactive game and play together. Winner buys dinner on your next IRL date?
- Share your favorite things. Grab a few of your favorite items from around your house and share why you love them so much. (Pssst…this might be the time to leave your favorite stuffed animal from childhood in the box.)
- Paint and wine night. Agree on a subject to paint, crack open a bottle of wine and get to work. Prepare for spilled paint and lots of laughs.
- Introduce one another to your respective pets. Because who doesn’t want to show off their favorite furry friend?
- Compare travel bucket lists. Bonus points if you trade photos of some of the places on your list.
- Share a tour of your home. If you feel comfortable, this is the perfect time to show off that space you’ve been cleaning and organizing while stuck inside.
- Go on a virtual tour of a zoo together. No seriously, these exist!
- Take a virtual yoga class together. Yes, these exist too. And those who sweat together, stay together, right?
Got a specific question about #DatingWhileDistancing? Ask one of our certified Dating Experts, and see what other advice they’re sharing with fellow singles today.